Artist and Writer.
Areas of specialist interest:
- Ceramics, specifically working in greenware and with natural dyes.
- Integrates textiles and clay words to create powerful synergies questioning how we form narratives.
- There are several strands to my practice; the first is an idea developed through collaborative exploration with a group of other artists participating in DIY Gypsyland. Experimenting with my idea of “Truth Marks” gave me a strong sense of permission to explore; respecting my initial practice as a writer whilst working into different media, particularly tactile media. The use of ceramic form has developed in this work.
- Linking performance and work in clay as a time based medium is an integral part of practice. For example working with John Newling on ‘Eden’; it was a pivotal experience, exploring the use of voice as instrument and subtle body movement as a part of dance, drawing on the experience of my work in Belarus with the State Theatre and Vitaly Barkowsky.
Clay as time based medium, University Manchester, Whitworth Art Gallery- ongoing.
Routsi Residency, Black Box Collective 2015.
AIR NOA Residency, Royal College of Art 2015.
Ph1 artists, Residency with Delaine le Bas, New School House Gallery 2014.
Ignite (Exhibition mixed media), Rucha Rucha, Bank Street Arts, Sheffield 2014.
Eden (Performance with John Newling), New School House Gallery, York 2014
To Gypsyland (Installation mixed media), Bolton Museum & Art Gallery 2014.
InDialogue (Installation; Lodz Tapes), Nottingham Contemporary 2013.
Exhibition of ceramics, Arteculture York Theatre Royal 2008.
Inspired Youth, Development workshops with IDAS, Literacy & performance survivors domestic abuse (Mixed media).
British Library: Epic Inspiration (Performance & Mixed Media), .
City York Council: Read Write York, Programme of work developed for participants in different settings, for example at Askham Grange prison, mothers separated from their children developing illustrative material for their families to take home.
Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, Different outdoor programmes, including work with People in Action and delivering ways for all to access nature reserves; challenging existing practice.
Commonword, Cultureword; Diversity in writing and performance including work with Survivors Groups, Black Writers and Northern Gay Writers (Writing & Performance).
Publications & Awards
When Saira met Sally. Poetry Anthology. Crocus Books. 2014
Moon – a grown up fairytale. Inscribed on ‘Moon Mounds’. 2012
Lincoln Arts Festival. Performance. 2005
The Potter. City Secrets, Crocus Books. Short story book signing. Waterstones, Leeds. 2004
Velvet. York Art Gallery. Collaboration with Dr Damian Murphy. Mixed media. 2003
Demarco European Art Foundation. Performance. Edinburgh 2002
Song of Vitaly (performed in Belorussian) Belarus State Theatre. 2002
Arts Council Travel Award to Belarus State Theatre and Odessa. 2002
- Participatory work.
- Deep knowledge environmental sector.
- Arts and health.
- Children and young people
Based in York, Manchester and Chemnitz, Germany